Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bird Bath



If you read my earlier post about the Tufa Torch, this Bird Bath will look quite familiar! I used the same form for the base. I also carved the same Japanese kanji symbol for "peace" into it on all four sides.

The thing that makes this pillar different is that I was experimenting with using alternative organic matter in place of some of the peat moss. In this experiment I used chaff from Kona Coffee Beans which is a papery material, very light-weight. I did have some problems using this material. Instead of the usual 2-3 days for a pillar of this size, it took several days longer to dry to the point of being able to unmold it. This pillar also developed cracks in it and I expected it to break apart but it has been standing in place for 3 years (since 2005) and seems to be holding its own. I like how it has aged. I keep it in a shady area and moss and mold have helped it to take on a very old appearance.

I used the same stainless steel mixing bowl and plastic bowl insert to make the basin.

It attracts birds daily. I often empty it out to get rid of any mosquito larvae but the birds always return.

2 comments:

imahighrider said...

I love your recipe but it does not state the procedure for drying.
Also, will this birdbath be waterproof? Is there a recipe to make the item colored? Thank you very much.

Eugene said...

Very well done! How we create our hypertufa crafts reveals who we are. I fall dismally short in this area with a lot of work to do. The older I get the more I understand the power and importance of investing our time in making hypertufa crafts in the proper manner. Thank you for the reminder! Blessings! Be sure to visit this page for more step by step details on making hypertufa at home.