Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A little background about me


Aloha!
My name is Barb Sasaki and I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. Many of you have met me and seen my work while visiting the Kona Coffee Fesitival, in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii where I have been a featured artist in the past and share my knowledge as it evolves because this art form is really so simple that anyone can do it. Each year I handed out over 100 "Hypertufa How To's" and hope that I inspired someone to try this creative and exciting artform.

I grew up believing I was "artistically challenged" but dabbling in this artform opened up many other opportunities to me. I am not your typical "artistic" person. I can't draw. I don't paint. But becoming a hypertufa artist doesn't require those skills.

I became interested in hypertufa several years ago when I decided that I wanted a Japanese lantern in my yard but didn't want to pay $300 to get one. I started talking to people and heard the word "hypertufa" for the first time. I had no idea what it was and how learning about it would impact my life.

I started reading everything online that I could on the subject. The best information for me was found on the gardenweb.com site. I was able to learn from others mistakes which saved time. After about 4 days of reading all the forum posts, I just decided to dive in.

The photos at the top of this post are of my first attempts of hypertufa artistry.

No comments: